Early Periodic Screening and Developmental Testing (EPSDT) physicals (well check-ups) are provided by appointment to the uninsured population on a sliding fee scale and to TennCare recipients with proof of TennCare coverage (the health department will bill TennCare). These physicals are performed by a nurse and any abnormal findings are referred to the patient’s primary care physician.
These physicals include:
- Complete family & medical history
- Vision, hearing & developmental screenings
- Screening for lead risk. A complete physical is performed by a nurse & any abnormal findings are referred to the client’s Primary Care Provider.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that immunizations save the lives of over 3 million children per year. Vaccines offered to children at the health department are:
- DTaP – protects against diphtheria and tetanus
- Hep A – protects against Hepatitis A
- Hep B – protects against hepatitis B
- Hib – protects against Haemophilus Influenza type b
- HPV – Human papillomavirus
- Influenza (Flu) – protects against influenza
- IPV – protects against polio
- MMR – protects against measles, mumps and rubella
- PCV – protects against pneumonoccus
- RV – protects against rotavirus
- Varicella – protects against chickenpox
Children’s Special Services
The Tennessee Children’s Special Services (CSS) Program assures appropriate, timely comprehensive, quality services to children 0 to 21 who have, or who are at-risk for, special needs. The program promotes the well-being of children in a manner that is family centered, culturally sensitive and community based through services coordinators acting as liaisons for children, families and providers- facilitation, collaborating and forming partnerships that are flexible and creative in meeting the unique needs of each child.
TennCare Kids is a free program of checkups and health care services for children from birth to age 21 who are TennCare eligible. These services ensure babies, children, teens and young adults receive the health care they need.
What does TennCare Kids provide?
- Free medical and dental checkups
- Free medical and dental services
- Free behavioral health services
How do you schedule a TennCare Kids visit?
- Call your doctor, TennCare health plan or local health department to schedule an appointment.
Where do you go for more information on TennCare Kids?
The Community Outreach Worker at the Grainger County Health Department is happy to provide you information about TennCare Kids.